The International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) is an independent, non-profit research organization founded to provide first-rate, unbiased research along with technical and scientific analysis to environmental regulators around the globe to support effective policy-making on vehicle emissions and related climate change and public health issues. Our goals include development of policy solutions to reduce conventional pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions in the transportation sector. We work with a range of organizations including the European Commission, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the International Maritime Organization, the International Civil Aviation Organization, and environmental, energy, and transportation ministries in China, India, Mexico, and Brazil.
Position duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Perform a quantitative analysis of current vehicle market and emissions data for Turkey, with the objective of establishing a baseline for further analysis of various tax change scenarios;
- Perform a qualitative and quantitative comparison of the vehicle fleet and taxation situation in Turkey to other key automotive markets worldwide, with the objective of identifying best-practice examples for emissions’ based vehicle taxation schemes that could serve as a basis for future policy action in Turkey;
- Develop a set of concrete policy scenarios for changing the vehicle taxation scheme in Turkey to be based on emissions. Adapt the ICCT Feebate Simulation Tool (http://www.theicct.org/feebate-simulation-tool) to the specific situation in Turkey, taking into account special challenges with respect to the vehicle market distribution in Turkey;
- Write a report on the project results and work together with colleagues within ICCT and at the Istanbul Policy Center (IPC) to disseminate the findings to an interested audience (for example, using a press release, blogs, twitter and also a public workshop in Istanbul/Ankara); and
- Interact closely and collaborate with contacts in Turkey, such as government, industry, NGOs and universities. Support ICCT colleagues in other, related, projects.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Master’s degree in engineering, environmental science, natural sciences, economics, or related disciplines, Ph.D. students/candidates with a completed Ph.D. welcome to apply;
- Strong technical background with knowledge of air quality, climate change and transportation policies;
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, and research skills;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with fluency in English required and knowledge of Turkish a big plus;
- Highly organized, self-directed, and creative, strategic problem-solver;
- Good proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other software applications; and
- Strong interest in environmental issues, climate change mitigation, and related topics.
The preferred working location will be in the ICCT Berlin office. For applicants from Turkey, a hosting agreement for the purpose of academic research, with ICCT being a research organization approved by the German Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, will be provided. We are looking for a Fellow to begin work on in March/April 2017. The duration of the position is limited to 1 year. The Fellow Researcher will be paid a monthly gross salary of up to €2,800, depending on education and experience.
To be successful in our environment, you must possess intellectual rigor, curiosity, intrinsic motivation, and share in our mission-driven enthusiasm. You also enjoy working with a diverse group of people around the globe in a collaborative, dynamic workplace.
Please send your resume, cover letter summarizing your qualifications and experiences, a writing or project sample, name and contact information of references to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: “Berlin Fellow”). Please use English as the language for your application. Candidates will be considered on a first come, first served basis and the position will remain open until filled. Applicants without the supplemental materials will receive less consideration. No calls and no recruiters, please. ICCT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.