Links: EPA and NHTSA joint NPRM for 2017-2025 LDV standards
Yesterday the EPA and NHTSA issued the notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) for the 2017-2025 fuel economy and greenhouse gas standards. The proposal seems to hew closely to the supplemental notice of intent released in July (see our policy update here). ICCT will release a detailed summary shortly, but in the meantime here are links to the key EPA/NHTSA documents and some media traffic.
Links to the NPRM and draft technical support document, regulatory imact analysis, and environmental impact statement are on the NHTSA site here, along with NHTSA’s press release and other materials. The EPA news release is here.
Some press and web links:
- E&E (paywall) Obama proposes near-doubling of CAFE standards for passenger cars
- Green Car Congress DOT, EPA unveil joint proposal for fuel economy and greenhouse gas emission standards: 49.6 mpg CAFE, 163 g/mile GHG in 2025; flexibilities and incentives
- UCS White House Proposes Strong Fuel Efficiency and Auto Pollution Standards: Loopholes and Weak Standards for Big Pickups and SUVs Could Undermine Consumer Savings and Choice
- NRDC Obama Takes Big Step toward Cleaner, Fuel-Sipping Cars
- Scientific American Can U.S. Cars Meet the New 54 mpg CAFE Standards? Yes They Can
- LA Times U.S. seeks to double average gas mileage by 2025
- Business Week U.S. 54.5 MPG Fuel-Economy Standard May Cost $157 Billion
- The Guardian White House reveals plans to boost cars’ fuel efficiency