NDC-TIA China Annual Workshop – Planning and Major Policies for Peaking Carbon Dioxide Emissions from Transportation and Carbon Neutrality
The NDC-TIA China Annual Workshop was held on Nov. 23rd, 2021. It’s a fully online workshop, organized by the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) and Vehicle Emission Control Center of Ministry of Ecology and Environment (VECC). Ms. CUI Mingming – the deputy director of Mobile Source Division of the Department of Atmospheric Environment from MEE and Ms. Miriam Gutzke – the counselor from German Embassy in China gave keynotes for the workshop, Mr. YIN Hang – deputy director of VECC gave the summary statement. The workshop was moderated by Mr. Sebastian Ibold – the project director of Sino-German Cooperation on Low Carbon Transport from GIZ, and Mr. MA Dong – the deputy director of Low Carbon Transportation from VECC.
The workshop was attended by invited speakers from
– Ministry of Ecology and Environment (MEE),
– German Embassy in China,
– Climate Action Directorate-General (DG CLIMA) of European Commission,
– Joint Research Centre (JRC) of European Commission
– National Center for Climate Change Strategy and International Cooperation (NCSC)
– China Automotive Technology Research Center (CATARC),
– Transportation Planning Research Institute of the Ministry of Transport (TPRI),
– Tsinghua University,
– Beijing Transportation Development and Research Center (Beijing TDRC)
– World Resources Institute (WRI)
– Agora Verkehrswende
As well as 60 participants from government agencies, public institutes, automotive OEMs, Universities, research institutes and NGOs.
China is in a critical stage of developing its 14th Five-Year Plan (FYP) and creating a sectoral roadmap for peaking CO2 emissions from transportation. Further, the National Action Plan to Peak Carbon Emissions by 2030 released by China’s State Council in October 2021, green and low-carbon transportation is also a critical component. Against this backdrop, ICCT and VECC organized this workshop which intends to share knowledge and foster dialogue on the vision, macro-level planning, key policy instruments, and research activities toward decarbonising transportation in Germany, Europe, and China.
The workshop is organized as part of the National Determined Contribution Transport Initiative for Asia 2021 Event Series – Decarbonising Transport. The event series aims at contributing knowledge and international best practices on transport sector decarbonization to the development of strategies related to China’s recently set targets of 2030 carbon dioxide emission peaking and 2060 carbon neutrality. The previous events including:
- European Green Deal and the Fit for 55 Package from a Transport Perspective
- Climate Targets and Impacts in the Transport Sector in the European Union and China
- Workshop on provincial transport-related GHG decarbonization experience exchanges