An Introduction to Petroleum Refining and the Production of Ultra Low Sulfur Gasoline and Diesel Fuel
This is the first work product of a comprehensive analysis of the economics of ULSG and ULSD production and supply in Brazil, China, India, and Mexico, being conducted by HART Energy and MathPro Inc. for the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT).
The purpose of the document is to (1) provide context and an organizing framework for the overall analysis, (2) identify the technical factors that determine the refining cost of ULSG and ULSD production, and (3) facilitate interpretation of the results of the analysis. The tutorial addresses:
- Fundamentals of the petroleum refining industry
- Crude oil and its properties
- Classes of refinery processes and refinery configurations
- Properties of the refinery-produced streams (“blendstocks”) that make up gasoline and diesel fuel
- Refinery processing options for producing ULSG and ULSD